Kristin Campbell, General Counsel & Chief ESG Officer, Hilton
Since our founding more than 100 years ago, Hilton has been deeply committed to creating a positive impact in our communities and protecting the destinations where we operate. Th is founding principle lives on today through Travel with Purpose, Hilton’s Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) strategy to drive responsible travel and tourism globally. Th rough Travel with Purpose, we have committed to double our investment in social impact and cut our environmental impact in half by 2030.
While we are proud of how our company is redefi ning responsible travel and tourism, we recognize that true success can only be realized through collective action. We know our B2B customers also have their own ESG priorities, and we want to help them achieve those aims. To do that, we use our proprietary LightStay system, which tracks our environmental and social impact across all of Hilton’s properties, so we can share how our hotels are performing with our customers. Th anks to LightStay, we can give our B2B customers useful information on the environmental impact of their stays and provide suggestions on how to lessen their footprint.
As we look ahead, we know our industry has an opportunity to play an important role in supporting communities and ensuring they remain vibrant for generations yet to come. By working together we can all create a meaningful, positive impact for the people we serve and our planet.
At Hilton, success is linked to their ability to operate and grow sustainably. As one of the world’s largest hotel companies, they recognize the company’s responsibility to protect communities and the planet. Travel with Purpose is Hilton’s Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) strategy to drive responsible travel and tourism globally. Hilton is so focused on this, that they have committed to double their investment in social impact and cut their environmental impact in half by 2030. These overarching Travel with Purpose 2030 Goals are underpinned by targets that closely align with the global Sustainable Development Goals adopted by the United Nations in 2015.
Hilton activates Travel with Purpose across their hotel operations, supply chain, and in the communities where they operate. Here’s how:
Hilton engages Team Members, owners, and business partners to advance their positive impact and preserve resources in hotels around the world. Hilton does this by:
- Preserving resources by reducing carbon emissions, water, and waste
- Adopting global best practice standards for sustainability management, including aligning with the requirements for ISO 14001 (Environmental Management), ISO 50001 (Energy Management) and the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC)
- Engaging and training Team Members on environmental and social issues
Hilton partners with suppliers to protect human rights and ensure responsible sourcing across their business. Hilton does this by:
- Supporting local businesses through the company’s commitment to double their sourcing spend from local, small- and medium-sized enterprises and minority-owned suppliers
- Protecting human rights by partnering with suppliers to eradicate forced labor and trafficking
- Encouraging suppliers to set their own environmental and social goals
Hilton invests in communities to create opportunities for all and to protect the environment for future generations to come. Hilton does this by:
- Creating opportunities for meaningful careers, particularly for youth around the world as well as for women, minorities, Veterans, and persons with disabilities
- Bringing Travel with Purpose to life in communities through skills-based Team Member volunteering
- Preserving local cultural and natural heritage, and engaging guests in destination stewardship efforts
Measuring Hilton’s impact
Underpinning all of Hilton’s Travel with Purpose efforts is the company’s proprietary and award winning LightStay system, which tracks and measures the environmental and social impact at every one of Hilton’s hotels — from water and energy use to volunteer hours and donations. With this, Hilton can give its B2B customers useful information on the environmental impact of their stays and provide suggestions on how to lessen their footprint. As more and more organizations set their own environmental and social goals, many are looking to their partners, including hotel companies, to help them achieve their targets. By providing this type of information, Hilton is helping its customers understand their impact so we can work together to help support their goals.
Despite 2020’s challenges, Hilton has remained fully committed to its environmental and social goals. Why? Because Hilton operates in some of the most beautiful destinations around the world and recognizes the critical responsibility it has to protect our planet and communities for future generations.